Saturday, August 23, 2008

Songs I Love To Hate - My Humps

If my husband really wants to tick me off, all he has to do is ask me what I'm going to do with all that junk in my trunk. I hear those few words and I'm off and running. I can literally rant for hours. That is how much this song gets under my skin.

When I first heard it, I had to laugh. Lady lumps? Really? I figured it was a joke. But it wasn't. The Black Eyed Peas' song My Humps was a dance hit in 2005. The song was catchy and is a popular ringtone. It has also spawned a wonderful parody by Alanis Morissette. It was also the beginning of a horrible trend among female singers: objectifying themselves and other women.

This song annoys me in so many ways it's hard to know where to start. Obviously the lyrics are my number one annoyance. Demeaning and vulgar it pains me to listen to them. I don't want young girls thinking it's okay to use their lady lumps and bumps to get guys to buy them stuff. Isn't that technically a form of prostitution? At the very least it has the potential to create gold diggers everywhere.

And that sing song not really singing but sort of singing voice Fergie uses drives me nuts. And it's everywhere now. Even Madonna gives it a go on her new album. I think maybe it's supposed to be seductive but to me it sounds like a hop scotch tune.

Perhaps the most annoying thing for me about this song is that it's catchy. It was a huge hit and people of all ages listen to it. Young 'tweens listen to it. And end up thinking that the only way to succeed and get what you want is by using your body. And once you get what you want? Simply move on to the next victim, shake your humps at him and he's all yours.

This article was provided by Ringtones Factory. Visit Ringtones Factory for the best free ringtones on the web

latin music com

No comments: